Saturday, June 20, 2015

1st 5K of the summer

I'm trying to do a bunch of 5Ks and speed work this summer in order to drop some weight and increase my speed a little bit. On June 7, I ran my first 5K of the summer: The Scorcher 5K in Stillwater, OK. It was a miserable experience, but I enjoyed it, lol. The humidity was roughly 90%, so that sucked. It was also quite windy. I wanted to race it, rather than run it, so that I can have an accurate starting point to compare to the last 5K of the summer. I would like to see a drop in both weight and time, so we'll see if I can accomplish that.


The race started at 6:45am. There was also a half, and they started at 6:30. I really wanted to run the half, but I can't imagine how much it must have sucked in that humidity. I tried to run the entire 5K, but I wasn't carrying my own water, and so I took walking breaks when my HR got above 190. So there were a few walking breaks in the latter half of the race. Overall, I did as I expected. My time was 32:04. What I did not expect was an age group placing! I will probably never be fast enough to place in the city, but this was the 2nd time I've placed in small 5Ks. It was kind of nice :D I got 2nd in the F30-34 AG.


Here are my overall stats:

Time: 32:04
O: 44 of 109
F: 15 of 58
F30-34: 2 of 7
Weight: 115lbs

This is not how to run a negative split, lol. I always go out too fast on the first mile. I really need to work on that.


My second 5K is tomorrow morning. It's a father's day 5K. I doubt that I'll place in my AG again, but maybe I can go just a teensy bit faster than 32:04. We'll see. This one starts at 8am, which I think is sort of dumb for a 5K in the Oklahoma summer, but whatever. I'll push myself, but not to the point of heat exhaustion.

I have a 3rd 5K next Friday-the Hot 5K. I will be able to run both the Hot and Hottest, but I will be out of state for the Hotter. I'm going to Oregon for an ASL Silent Weekend with some classmates. I'm going to take my running stuff and try to get in a run near the beach. I think that'll be very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment