Sunday, February 5, 2012

New shoes

I got some fancy-schmancy running shoes on Friday. The guy at the running store declared me a neutral runner, so I guess we'll go with that. I think that I overpronate, but we'll see how my feet like these shoes. I also learned that my feet are 1/2 size different-the left is a 6 and the right is a 6.5. Apparently, this is pretty common, but I think it's sort of cool. I ended up with a pair of Brooks Switch 4:

For future reference, the mileage on them starts with 2.4.12. Right now, that's a whole 3 miles! I've heard that I need to replace them everywhere from 300 to 700 miles. I've been lazy when it comes to tying my shoes since mid-HS or so, and for at least the past 10 years I have almost immediately laced my shoes up like this:
Thank you, bff Liz for teaching me that. I haven't tied my shoes in probably 13 or 14 years. So far I haven't done that to the new shoes, but their time is coming soon. The shoes in that last pic are my Saucony excursions that DH bought me last year. I guess I could count them as my first running shoes, but I bought them because they were cute and I needed new sneakers.

I ran again yesterday, and I sort of failed at maintaining the exact same pace. I'm going to have to be careful about that. Yesterday's run was the same as Thursday's, except I threw in 1 extra 1-min run @ 5.5 (bringing the total to 8 runs) and the 7th was actually 1.5 mins rather than 1.

2.4.12 (Saturday):
Distance: 3 miles with part of the warmup, but w/out the cool down in 45:30; with the cool-down it was 3.24 miles in 52:09. I burned ~334.3 calories, my average speed (with CD) was 3.7, and the average pace was 17:12.
Time: 45:30; 52:09

I need to figure out how to get my pace from the treadmill without including the cooldown. Is it ok to stop the treadmill for a min or so to get the stats from the display and then do a cool down? Speaking of the treadmill, I get dizzy when I stop it. When I googled that, it said to do a longer cool down. I've been extending the cool down with each run-this time it was nearly 8 minutes.  I decrease the speed about every 2 minutes or so, eventually stopping at 1.5mph. I'm going to ask for advice on the Nest's Health and Fitness board, but please comment if you have any recommendations.

1 comment:

  1. Those are nice looking shoes :) I didn't know you have to replace running shoes so often, but I guess it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete