Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Decisions, Decisions

I keep trying to start a blog post for updates, and then a week later, I'll realize that I forgot to do it. For example, I started this post on 6/3/2014, a week ago. That cycle keeps continuing. I've decided to just skip all of the mini updates that I wanted to do, and just post something (which is better than nothing, right?).

My running has pretty much gone to crap recently. I think it's a combination of burn-out and tightness. I've recently had some plantar fasciitis-type pain in my left foot. As long as I pay attention to how my foot lands on the ground, it doesn't bother me a whole lot. But if I get lazy, then it becomes a problem. As of this morning, I haven't run for a week, and it's still bothering me a little. I think it has something to do with my cycling shoes, so I'm looking into orthotics for those shoes to see if it helps. I also need to stretch my calves more, I think, because they have been ridiculously tight as well.

I'm also experiencing a bit of frustration (because of the above issues), and some burnout as well. I've been training for the Andy Payne marathon (Sept) and 24 the Hard Way ultra (Oct). Someone recently brought up the Hotter'n Hell Hundred bike ride, which is in late August. I quickly realized that there was no way that I could train for both the ultra and the HH100, and it wasn't hard for me to lean towards the cycling event. So I've decided to put off the ultra for a few years, and used my fall school schedule as an excuse. But I'm also not feeling the marathon. They haven't even announced the date yet, and that sort of disorganization really irritates me. So it wasn't a very hard decision to sit out, although I did struggle a bit about ditching 2 marathon plans in a row. Right now, I'd say I'm about 90% sure that I am going to take a brief step back! and then focus on PRing the SOS half in October. I haven't really decided on a training plan. I thought about using another Hal Higdon plan, but I don't really like the idea of dropping back down to 5 mile long runs. But maybe that's what I need? Alternatively, I could run 3 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then cycle through 8, 10, and 12 mile long runs. Idk. I'm probably not going to run again until Thursday, or maybe even until next Sunday, so I have some time to think about it. Also, race fees are a big part of the issue. I just can't afford to do as many races as I want to. So HH100, the Gravedigger, and the SoS Half are probably the only races I'll do for the rest of the year.

Now, on to the bike. I've had my bike for a little over 3 months so far. I didn't really get to ride it much for the first 4 weeks because we got snow or ice every weekend it seemed, so I've basically been riding since mid-March. I'm moving right along in mileage-my longest ride so far has been 55 miles. I've moved on to clipless pedals, and I've fallen 3x. Two Saturdays ago, I had my first wreck. My friend Heather and I went to the OBS 70 mile training ride. I went into it wanting to do 70, but ok with doing the 55 mile alternative route if need be. However, things did not go as planned. Heather and I were comfortably riding between the medium pace group and the slow group. It started raining, and we missed a turn. We eventually got back on course, but then we both went down because of wet railroad tracks. I ended up with some road rash on my hip, but nothing overly serious. My bike (Luna) is ok. Heather bloodied her knee and had some bad bruising. By the time we got to the convenience store where we were supposed to meet up, the group had left us (not maliciously-they thought we had gone on ahead). Heather didn't want to continue, so she called her husband. I rode 13 miles alone, trying to catch up with someone. I took the 55 mile route. Heather and her husband eventually caught up with me in their car, and took my bike and me ahead about a mile or 2 until we found someone for me to ride with. I finished with 54 miles. Lessons learned: don't miss any turns, and be sure to get someone's phone number so you can communicate (I ended up fb messaging 2 people to let them know what had happened). Also, wet railroad tracks are devious.

Like I said above, I'm thinking about doing the HH100. This weekend, I am doing the 44 mile route of miles4smiles, and then next weekend is the Tour de Cure (62 miles). I have some friends who are doing it, but I'm not entirely sure I should. The overholser group ride last week was disgustingly hot (99F at 6pm), and it sucked. But the HH100 starts in the morning, so maybe I could handle it. We'll see.

Finally, some of my fav pics from the Warrior Dash:


No comments:

Post a Comment